Retrospective: Paris - After the mess was over

5.5 Francesco De la Cruz - Maybe
Spring 1994, Mae's apartment

The sun sent warm rays through the open windows. The cold days were finally over.
Francesco watched Mae pick a dress from the drawer. She was antsy. "If I mess this up, I can't take organic chemistry II next semester and my whole curriculum will be screwed..." No, she was desperate.

"Why would you mess it up? You studied a lot."
Freaking out about an exam was something Francesco never understood. Even less when you wasted so much time to prepare for it. He had always studied just enough to pass, grades didn't matter to him.

"Buuuuut -" she made funny faces.
"Relax. You'll be fine."

She threw her hands in the air and now made her "you-just-don't-get-it" face.
But eventually she took a deep breath and calmed down a little.
She turned back to the closet to pick another dress and just about ten seconds later, started to rattle down all the chemical formulas she had learned instead.
Okay, so much for calming down.
Francesco had heard those formulas so often when he helped her studying this week, he knew some of them already by heart too.

He had to stop that madness, and now was as good a time as any to ask.
"Mae, what you gonna do when you're done with school?"

She finally stopped and he could see her think.
"Hm... I haven't really made any specific plans yet, but... I would like to travel. The food here is quite different from home. It's mostly the same ingredients, but the spicing is different. But then there are countries where they use completely different stuff, and I'd really like to try those too!"
She flopped down next to him.

"Did you know, in South East Asia they eat a fruit that stinks! It's so bad it's even forbidden in some places, like airports!", she exclaimed.

He hadn't known.
"Really? Why would someone want to eat it?"

"It's considered a delicacy. It must be reeeeally good if people eat that! I totally have to try it myself!" She made it sound like it was a life goal. "I don't think I can stay in one place for the rest of my life. I want to see places and try as many different types of food as possible. I don't know how I will do it yet... but I'll know when I get there."

Francesco studied her face. Big green eyes full of hopes and dreams, tiny button nose, and countless freckles that a week out in the spring sun made even more prominent.
What if he didn't have to give up waking up next to her every morning?

What she wanted was not so different from what he did.
Maybe they could travel together when she was done with school. He could wait that long, one year and a half didn't really matter that much. Then he could play his music on local festivals and bars all around the world, and she could eat whatever weird food she found. 
And together they would figure a way to get by.

"Mae -"
Before he could continue, she jumped up.

"I'm gonna be late!!" she cried out, grabbed her bag and almost was out of the door already, but then swirled back once more and placed a small kiss on his lips.
"See ya tonight," she threw over her shoulder while rushing out.

Francesco would have to ask her tonight then.
He had to.

After Mae was kidnapped, he was more convinced than ever that he shouldn't be with her. If he hadn't stayed, if he hadn't dragged her into his mess, she wouldn't have got hurt.
Even after they had miraculously gotten out, he still stayed. To make sure she'd be safe, he told himself.
When she had visited her family, he missed her terribly, but it didn't change his decision to leave.

Until Charlotte finally made him question it.

"Tell me that she really is so easy to replace."

And then she kissed him, out of the blue. He was so dumbstruck that he unwittingly responded, like he had learned to do when he had lived with Suzette.

It was over as quick as it started, and Charlotte was so embarrassed, and he was so relieved.
She was probably the only trustworthy friend that Mae had left, and he was glad she didn't really have any intentions towards him.
So he waved it off without questioning, and they moved on. They still met and kept each other distracted from their loneliness, but only as friends.

Still, that kiss was like a bucket of ice water over his head. And he started to wonder how a life without Mae would be.
Empty.

It kept nagging him, and finally his determination to leave crumbled.
He knew he was damaged, broken, messed up, but more and more, he wanted to be with her.

Life with her was so good, so easy and relaxing.
He loved how full of life, passionate and sweet she was, and he loved her, so much.
And she did love him too, right?
It wasn't something they said with words, on the contrary, she rather encouraged him to leave so he could follow his dreams and be happy.
But he could feel it, she was caring and so warm, and it was more than just kindness.
And after she came back from her family, he felt it even stronger than before.

Still, he was hesitant.
There was always that voice that reminded him that she'd be so much better off without him and it was just selfish not to leave her alone.
But then time passed, the nightmares became less and less frequent, he was calmer and the constantly burning rage was nothing but a faint memory.
And the more time passed, the more that selfishness took over.

Screw those doubts, once more, and this time for good.
He'd still chase his dreams of being a famous musician, but together with her.
He wanted Mae.

Francesco cleaned up the breakfast table and picked up the grocery list Mae had put together yesterday night. She had asked him to go early, so he could get the freshest fruit and vegetables at the local supermarket before they were gone by the time her classes were over.
It had been months until she had trusted him to buy food alone. When he thought how pesky she was about it, he had to laugh.

He turned back once more to take the notebook she gave him last Christmas and stuffed it into his pocket.
"In this your songs will be safe," Mae had said, and he had kept it with him since then.
It was pretty useful.

14 comments:

  1. Omg, were they talking about durian?! 😂
    It's certainly quite a thing, let me know what you think about it, Mae!

    Why does it feel like the other shoe is about to drop? Possibly on their cute little heads 👀
    I love the tone shifting towards the future, hinting at some normalcy to come. But I'm scared!!
    HOPEFUL PLANS ARE A TERRIBLE SIGN I TELL YOU!!
    Ok I'm calm.
    Ehehehehe.
    I love that it took Franny weirdly making out with his friend to snap him out of the daze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! 😆 Tbh I have no idea if I had the courage to eat that LOL

      aww let them enjoy their moments of happiness! 😭
      It's not that I have crushed their hopes and dreams when they were happy before!
      Wait
      Nvm
      😅

      And yeah, Franny needs a slap in the face, sometimes 😏

      Delete
  2. I agree with Froot. I've got the 'the other shoe is about to drop' feeling too. We know something that made them go separated ways happened. The question remains what the thing is. Will Franny meet someone outside? Someone that threatens him? Maybe he will leave Mae 'for her safety' after all. Considering how their reunion went years later, I'm guessing neither of them just disappeared. So they must have come to mutual understanding about their split.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you're right, when they meet, none of them is mad at the other.
      When they think back at this time and their feelings for each other, it's probably that kind of nostalgic good memory kind of thing we once talked about :D
      But that's only the surface, and none of them has digged deeper yet...

      Delete
  3. It’s gonna get bad I know it! Booo. They are soo sweet together. 💔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booo 😭
      maybe they separate in peace!

      and yes, they are! 😭💖 let's hope they find back together again. or at least, someone as sweet as they are now!

      Delete
  4. OOOOh Is she talking about Durian????? Mae, if you ever come to SEA hit me up. I'll fly there and teach you what to look out for and where to get the best variant. Sorry but since you're all the way in Paris you will NEVER taste good durian. Musang King is sold for 80 - 100 dollars per fruit, and red durian is sold for 60 and these are all sold out to SEA neighbors as soon as they're in season. 😉

    Organic Chem.. ugh.. memories..

    I like how peaceful this chapter is. It's going to get ugly and I can't wait to see what happens, but I appreciate you slowing down the story for these sweet moments and fleshing out Fran's thoughts. I wonder what happened that they have to separate like that. Present Fran obviously wants Mae while Future Mae obviously wants Fran. 😔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question is rather, if Mae ever will get to taste any at all 😅 so far she didn't manage to go travelling, after all v.v
      Also those prices 😱😱

      Eh well. you don't have to wait much longer to know! Paris is almost over 😭

      Delete
  5. When she talked about weird food around the world, I immediately thought of people eating scorpions. They supposedly taste like chicken.
    *shudder*

    This was nice, but I too dread the inevitable separation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww omg.
      I wonder if Mae would try that ! xD
      There's a lot of weird stuff that people eat (also, if everything supposedly tastes almost like chicken, why they just don't eat chicken? 😐)

      Delete
  6. I'm sure his plans will go completely as intended. Yup. Yup. 👀

    Aww man, I'm caught up? I gather we're getting close to the end of the story, how many more chapters domyou have planned? I think I want to go read the original story next, but I'd rather follow this one through to the end first, to make it flow right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? 👀👀
      The more you plan...

      I actually wanted to release another chapter last weekend, but didn't get to it, so I'll do that tomorrow!
      And then will be just one more update, which is almost ready too.
      So if you have a bit of patience, you could wait for it. I hope it won't be longer than two weeks, but ofc, I won't keep you from reading the season 1 if you want to 🤭
      I just hope you won't be disappointed, since that is the first thing I ever wrote, it is probably more chaotic 😬

      Delete
  7. Aww yeah time to drop my durian love while Mae talked about it near that ridiculously detailed chocolate croissant (god bless the CC makers). Its smell and aftertaste is very reminiscent of onions to me. I wouldn't want it in a crowded subway though.

    It was a cozy kinda chapter, especially them on the couch together. Don't we all have doubts and weird stressful moments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love onions, but I am still too chicken to try a durian! Not as if it would be easy to find it here in Europe anyway, I suppose, but seek and you shall find, except I don't seek 😅

      we all have! but these two finally got a time to rest, too, and good things come out of it 😊

      Delete