Retrospective: Paris - How we started

1.9 Linda West - Say good bye
Summer 1993, Mae's apartment

Linda looked around the one-room appartement her sister would live in the next two years. It was really tiny, and for some reason unknown to her, had the shower in the kitchen. But it came fully furnished and had most household supplies included.

"...and I bet there will be a secret after-party where you can really meet all the other students! I mean, those school-organized get togethers are so stiff!"
Mae barely stopped talking since they left the plane, where she had slept through the whole flight.

Linda was happy to see her sister being herself again. She was chatty as always, and excited to start university here in Paris.
"Let's go, before you'll be late for your plane back!", Mae said.

But then her face became worried again. "Mom will be okay, no?", she asked.

"Of course. I'll take care of her now, I promise", Linda replied. And she was determined to do so. For too long she had left all the care in her younger sister's hands.
In fact, Mae had ran the full household, taken care of all bills and appointments be done in time, and made sure that the two sisters and their mother had a warm meal every day, while still going to high school.

And Linda could only feel ashamed that she had realized it so late. In her own grief over their father's death four years ago, she had fully dived into her studies in university, and barely noticed the changes at home. Their mother became more and more apathic, let the household slide and occasionally even forgot to take care of herself, and more of her teenaged daughters. 
Nevertheless, Mae always had been a very happy and caring girl. She was the anchor that held their family together. 
Until Mae's last year of high school. Slowly she had become quiet, and her friends had stopped coming over. Linda wasn't really sure what had happened, but it was a wake up call for her that something had to change.
And Linda was glad she could convince her sister to follow her dream and study professional cooking and nutrition here in Paris, even though Mae had been hesitant at first.

"Good bye, sweetie!", Linda hugged her sister tightly. She would miss her. But Mae would be happier here, she was sure.
If anyone deserved to be happy, it was Mae.

12 comments:

  1. I really love the close relationship between Mae and Linda. They always seem to want the best for each other. I'm actually happy to see Mae arrive in Paris as I'm interested to see how she met Franco and what happened in their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do care a lot for each other, because they had a loving family to grow up with, and the hardship of losing their father bound them even more together.
      You'll see them both together very soon! c:

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. haha! looks like you got the theme of the bad guy playing...

      Delete
  3. And the stage is set for Francisco and Mae!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WCIF Mae's hair? My new avatar has the same hair but alpha. I couldn't find a maxis match one and I'd rather use MM <3

    I love this little background information on their life. Mae wanting to live on her own after caring for the family so long is justified for sure. I'd feel that way. And why is there a shower in the kitchen? Is that normal? xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I send it to you !

      It actually is quite common here in Europe, when they modify 19th century town villas into apartment houses, they often don't have a real bathroom, just a tiny room with a toilet and a sink, and the shower is put up in the kitchen!
      I have a friend who even lived like that for a while, and she even shared that apartment! xD

      Delete
    2. Oh wow shared! This ties in to Fran. Everybody has learnt to deal. 😅

      Delete
  5. That apartment definitely feels very Parisian to me, I love it! Including the shower in the kitchen haha.

    Aww, Mae has arrived to Paris with quite the bacsktory. She seems like a caring person, I hope this will be a nice fresh start for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! 😊 I had a lot of fun building it. Here in Europe are a lot of those.

      And yes, she does need it!

      Delete
    2. I'm also in Europe 😊 Not France, but I have enough experience with visiting France and knowing people who have done exchange programmes in France to know that a shower in the kitchen is not that uncommon there. It felt very authentic 😊

      Delete
    3. aww I have been in France for an exchange program too, but lucky I was in a one family house with a real bathroom :D
      I had a friend (in my own country) that had a shower in the kitchen tho xD

      Delete