A haunting past

13.1 Francesco De la Cruz
Spring 1997, De la Cruz residence

Francesco was surprised to see Rosa sitting in the kitchen. He thought she wanted to visit some friends tonight.
"Hey! What you're doing here?", he asked her.

He sat down next to her. She looked like something was bothering her.
He waited for her to talk.
"Why haven't you been honest with me?", she finally asked after a while.
"What?", he hadn't expected that.
And for a second he tried to remember everything he had not told her.
There were quite a few things, but nothing of it had anything to do with her. And he never had lied to her, when she wanted to know something.
Unless she found out...

"Blues in May!", she shot out.
He was even more confused now, but couldn't help feeling relieved. At least she still didn't know about...
Francesco had tried to never think about it again. It was too... painful.

"That song is about that girl which was here last summer! MAE!", she continued.
"You think I wouldn't figure that out?"
How the fuck she got that idea now?
He asked her, but with nicer words.

"I know your inspiration was someone in Paris! And you wrote the song just after you met her here again!"
Not true, he had it already done for a while before that.
"And even the name fits! Blues in May?!", she kept going on.
For some reason he had to think about Mai Tais now. Did all women have a tendency for stupid word puns?
"Wow... I told you it was someone from back then, but it's not her!", he said, when he finally found his composure back.
"What bugs you so much about it anyway? Paris is long time gone." he asked.

"It's not when she lives here!", Rosa got even more mad now. "And you even got the nerve to invite her last year to your birthday party!"
That hadn't been a good idea, he knew. But he never had talked to her again since then.

She couldn't stop herself now. "You're seeing her!"
"What the...", Francesco didn't know what to say.
Was she seriously implying he continuously cheated on her?!

Lately she had started to be more and more curious what he did on his tours besides the concerts. Now he understood.
And it made him really angry.
"Really... I didn't even see her since that party! She's just someone from my past, okay?", he yelled at her.

"I just... I just don't know what to think... you're gone so much..." she sobbed.
Oh no. Please don't cry now.
He couldn't see her crying.

"There's nothing you have to worry about!", he said softly. "I made you a promise, almost two years ago in that church. And I always kept it, and always will."
He wasn't so sure if the ...thing counted as cheating, though.
But it didn't happen by his intention, and he wanted to make sure it could never happen again.
So he let that pass.

She still didn't look convinced.
"Please stop crying, Rosa... I love you, okay?"
"...Okay...", she finally sobbed.

14 comments:

  1. Lady, it's the hormones, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows. Maybe she smells something :D
      Pregnant women are said to have stronger senses, too ;o

      Delete
  2. Rosa doesn't know about the kiss but to be honest both Francisco and Mae knew it was wrong at the time. Francisco asked Mae to leave and they haven't had any contact since. They do have unresolved feelings but neither one is acting on them. IMO neither one of them did anything wrong.

    Rosa is going to have to understand that she is married to a rock star and his job is going to take him on tour. Now this part has nothing to do with Mae but she doesn't trust him while he is traveling for his job. If she doesn't trust him when he is on tour there really is no hope for their marriage. Trust is necessary in happy marriages.

    I didn't get the pregnant notion from the update but pregnant women tend to be moody. Rosa is definitely moody especially with that anger/jealousy turning to tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for this detailed comment!
      And I am actually really glad to see you do trust someone for a change. No, they never had done anything wrong - not by intention.

      For Rosa, it is pretty hard. Not only that he's gone a lot, but he also has a lot of fans. And since they are still rather small, the fans still have a real chance to interact with them. She knows pretty well from her own experience having worked in the music industry, and that doesn't help her trust at all.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about not trusting but until I know a characters full intent, I tend not to trust them. However I keep an open mind so my views can be changed when a character has earned my trust. Basically I call them as I see them.

      As for Rosa the band is small as you said. If she has trust issues now, they will only get worse as the band's fame increases. However she has a right to have these trust issues with him. Not because of the fans but due to his unresolved feelings for Mae. She is probably sensing them.

      Delete
    3. No need to be sorry! I like my sceptical readers c:

      She might sense something. But she actually doesn't *know* anything.

      Delete
  3. Oh snap! Hormones make everything worse :#

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he is being faithful...I know pregnacy makes things a million times worse and I can understand her worrying about what happens while they are on tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's relatable, isn't it? They are almost more appart than together.

      Delete
  5. Rosa sure is suspicious. I genuinely think Francesco does love her and he didn't mean any harm. He might still care about Mae but he's not acting on it. And for the better too since he's about to have a baby with Rosa. I hope Rosa understands she married a touring rock star, though I can imagine she is lonely as she's left behind so frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a twisted situation. If you're not really 100% confident, jealousy is inevitable to happen when your spouse is gone more than home. And who can be 100% confident? Even more when things about the past look suspicious.

      Delete
  6. I'm blaming it on pregnancy blues. The hormones can make you do crazy things. I mean it makes some girls do crazy things every month already. Good question. Did he cheat? But I always go by it doesn't matter what the feelings, it's the choice that matters. You can like 10 people, but if you choose to stay loyal to one. It kinda doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pregnancy might mess her up or not, I wouldn't know if it's really that bad :D
      Buuut, she's definitely seeing red flags where there might not be any.

      I like your view point that it only matters who you're loyal to. And it will affect future decisions in this story too!

      Delete